Client Secret Copy Paste Clipboard issues in Preview Sandbox

Most of the time when I copy a client secret from the web interface in the developer preview sandbox it prepends the string Hide to the client secret.

A large number of developers will be pasting this secret into an obscured text field (so as to not show it on the screen again). So they won’t even notice it until their application breaks. It will be difficult for them to figure it out since their client secret should be encrypted in storage.

You probably shouldn’t show the client secret on the screen anyway. The best option would be to have a button to put it straight into the clipboard.

I tried to send a support request to help the Okta developers for this but it’s very difficult to sign up to support and I have not received an email saying I was accepted yet. Hopefully somebody will see this here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am having a hard time reproducing but guessing its a combo of OS, browser, and actual secret value. We have an open ticket in the backlog to add a copy button and added a note about your frustration with the current implementation.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I’m on OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, Chrome 60.0.3112.90.

Seems the Hide comes from the element

<span data-se="o-form-input-client_secret" class="o-form-input-name-client_secret o-form-control"><span class="link-button secret-text-button">Hide</span>SECRETKEY</span>`

which without the code block renders here as HideSECRETKEY

I’m double clicking the string to highlight before copying if that makes a difference.

I am able to repro and filed a bug. Thanks for the debug info!