Where are you from?

We know people are using and building on Okta all around the globe! Where are you from?

I can start us off…I was born and raised in New Jersey in the United States. Went to uni in Boston, Massachusetts, and moved back to New Jersey, where I landed my first job at a 30-person optoelectronics startup. From there I lived in New Jersey, and held several jobs in that state and in New York City. I moved to Boca Raton, Florida for a couple years, and six years ago moved to the Bay Area in Northern California and have been here since then!

I’m an Okta employee, but I’ll chime in! I grew up in the backwoods of Montana with no electricity or running water. It’s funny to think I’m in computers after that upbringing! My dad was always into computers and studied for his Masters in Computer Science at the University of Montana. He bought us a generator and has us on a 300 baud modem dialing up to Compuserve in the late 80s.

I went to school at the University of Denver and majored in Russian, International Business, and Finance. I eventually found out there weren’t many job prospects (or rather, none that were exciting to me) and spent a 5th year auditing computer classes and targeting a career in programming. I got hired as a Y2K programmer in 1997, became an HTML developer in 1998-2001, then got into Java and open source in 2001. I’ve remained in Denver ever since I graduated because I love the outdoors and there’s excellent skiing and mountain biking nearby.

1 Like