Access Gateway - 504 Gateway Timeout

I work for a company that has an application that our clients use in their environments as an internal app. The application integrates with SAML providers like Okta, so our clients can use Okta as an IdP to let their employees login to the app.

Recently, we had a newer client integrate Okta Access Gateway with their internal application for the first time. After talking with our client and learning more about OAG, I definitely want to recommend it to our other Okta clients; however, this client is running into an issue with the “Backend Timeout duration” and the app timing out on longer page loads.

By the nature of our application, pages will occasionally take up to 5 or even 10 minutes to load because the app is waiting for data to be returned from an external source. After instructing them to increase the backend timeout to 10 minutes, this did not resolve the problem.

I’m pretty confident this is an OAG issue as I can see OAG using an AWS ALB/ELB, which is what I use with my internal dev app+okta setups (without OAG). What I was expecting to happen was the backend timeout functionality in OAG to update the idle_timeout on the AWS LB; however, this doesn’t seem to be what’s happening. Our client is still getting the standard 504 Gateway Timeout message:

<html>
<head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>
</body>
</html>
<!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

Is this an issue with OAG not updating the idle_timeout properly, or is there another setting to configure to change the idle_timeout on the AWS LB?

Hi @la-mg! Please open a support ticket through an email to support@okta.com with this issue. One of our Support Engineers will be happy to assist you further.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.