Add Single Sign-On to Your Vert.x Server with Okta

Add Single Sign-On to Your Vert.x Server with Okta

This tutorial will walk you through building a new Vert.x server and integrating it with Okta for security and user management.

René Winkler

Thanks Silas for this great tutorial, this makes it easy! But I would not call Vert.x a contender for the Spring ecosystem :slight_smile: Or do you have any data on this?

Paulo Lopes

Hi Silas, where you’re specifying the scopes as a JSON extra payload, you could use the following alternative:

authHandler
.addAuthority(“openid”)
.addAuthority(“profile”)
.addAuthority(“email”)

Authorities are mapped to scopes.

Paulo Lopes

Hi Rene, not wanting to start a flame war here, but contender is the right term, from the dictionary I can read: contender - “to strive in rivalry; compete;”. And that is exactly what vert.x is doing, competing. Silas also made the point to explain where vert.x competes: “performance and polyglot access”. While performance can quickly be looked with a web search e.g.: https://www.techempower.com… the polyglot aspect is a asserted on both projects web sites and documentation.

Aram

Hi Silas, thanks for a great tutorial, it saves me a lot of time in configuring OKTA integration.
I’m wondering is there a way to redirect to original URI after login?
Like in your example it redirects to /login?code=blah…can it be redirected back to /private/secret ?

Brian Demers

@disqus_c0pk6bNF0V:disqus
A lot of frameworks just stick the previous page in the session before redirecting and then dig it back out again after login is successful. It looks like something similar is going on here

Aram

Thanks for your response Brian…Taking a look.