API Service Accounts

In the Rest API documentation I found the following concerning creating service accounts. However I cannot find any documentation or otherwise in the Okta dashboard how to create a service account with specific REST API permissions. The specific permission I want to grant is Read-only on the “logs” endpoint. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Token Best Practice: Service Account

API tokens inherit the API access of the user who creates them, so we recommend you create a “service account” user with only the permission levels you need for the token to perform the API tasks you require.

I believe “service account” means it’s an Okta user account but not used by a real human in the normal sense. For example, alice.smith@example.com is a normal user account, while api.service.account@example.com is for creating the api token and limiting access of that token.

In our case, we used a group email address for the service account so messages are sent to multiple people in the company.

[Experts,

I am newbie to okta. Trying to setup a ‘service user’ account with required privileges for create user API.

The application team will be using JAVA API to create users in okta tentant.

Could you please help me with any URL / steps to create service user.

Thanks!
sri

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.