Build Native Java Apps with Micronaut, Quarkus, and Spring Boot

Build Native Java Apps with Micronaut, Quarkus, and Spring Boot

Learn how to create native images with Java frameworks like Micronaut, Quarkus, and Spring Boot.

Eric Deandrea

Nice article Matt! I was wondering if you might comment at all on “time to first request” or memory usage of the three different technologies?

Matt Raible

My guess is that Spring Boot would be faster for the first request since it does the OIDC discovery lookup at startup. I did not test memory usage. I’ll look into it.

Matt Raible

Hey Eric,

I updated this post to use the latest versions and added a memory used comparison. Hope this helps!

Eric Deandrea

Thanks Matt!

Hi Matt, I wonder what is average memory, cpu and response times after 5 min running a test calling the services you created.

You should be able to clone my repo, use the commands I did in this post, and get these values.

I updated this post today and tried sending 5 requests instead of just one request. I discovered that Micronaut seems to increase the memory used by 20 MB with each request. Quarkus and Spring Boot only increased by 1-2 MB. I also tried waiting 5 minutes and didn’t see any decrease in memory usage.