Does Okta API have health check endpoints?

Greetings,

I am working on custom health checks for a REST API that is used to manage Okta users using the Okta .NET SDK. I want to be able to verify the ‘liveness’ and ‘readiness’ of the Okta API to accept traffic from my app through my own healthcheck endpoints. I have not found anything in the Okta API documentation that is suitable to call for this purpose. Did I miss this, or is providing health check endpoints in the roadmap?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Is checking the contents of https://status.okta.com/ via API enough?

That returns a web page, parsing its contents to find a status is not really ideal, esp since Okta may change their formatting on the page at any time - it’s not a service contract. It’s great for human checking but not designed for programmatic use.

A simple healthcheck endpoint that returns a 200 OK response is sufficient. My workaround will be to actually perform a ‘real’ lookup through the API, but that’s not really ideal either for healthcheck purposes.

2 Likes

Hi @kittysempai

We don’t have a health check endpoint at the moment, however you can leverage status.okta.com and your organization’s API in order to check the health status of your Okta tenant.

As I mentioned, status.okta.com is for human consumption, not programmatic.

For now I’m just retrieving the first user from the API to check health but it would be nice to provide a healthcheck endpoint that doesn’t consume extra resources on your end.

4 Likes

We have the same requirement, in the same context clearly discussed by @kittysempai. I agree with her assessment that status.okta.com does not satisfy requirement to confirm that our specific ciam tenant is healthy. Since our management service also uses okta.sdk.dotnet, we also implemented our okta “health check” using a query for the first user, although that’s not ideal, especially since this end point is rate limited. @laura.rodriguez, do you recommend an alternative okta.sdk.dotnet method, potentially less “costly”, to confirm connectivity with the okta tenant?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.