Get user profile data using pure javascript?

Hello, I’m creating a SPA using pure javascript. I’m curious the recommended way to get user profile data from Okta? I would like the complete profile and not just the email. Because I have a pure javascript application, I am using the Okta Sign-in widget. Once they have logged in I store the access token, which I believe is a Bearer token.

I am trying to use this token to call the “oauth2/default/v1/userinfo” endpoint. However, I am getting Cors errors, even though I have all of my set properly in my Okta trusted origins. I’m assuming this is because this endpoint does not support Cors?

I then tried to call the " /api/v1/users/me" to get the users profile. However, I am unable to call this API with the Bearer token returned by the sign-in widget.

How do I trade in my bearer token for an API token, so I can call the “api/v1/users/me”? Keep in mind this is a pure javascript app so I can not store a client secret anywhere?

Or am I taking the wrong approach? Is there an easier way to get the profile data in a pure javascript app?

Hi @shane

You can use /api/v1/users/${userId] endpoint as described here to retrieve a user’s profile. This endpoint can be called through CORS. You can find here the steps and JavaScript & jQuery examples on how to access the endpoint.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.