Not logged in even if the authorized activity gets launched

I run the login in the LoginActivity here (NB: that’s Kotlin!):

class LoginActivity: Activity() {

private val TAG = "LoginActivity"

override fun onCreate(savedInstanceState: Bundle?) {
    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState)
    val mOktaAuth = OktaAppAuth.getInstance(this)
    if (mOktaAuth.isUserLoggedIn) {
        Log.i(TAG, "User is already authenticated, proceeding to token activity")
        startActivity(Intent(this, MainActivity::class.java))
        finish()
        return
    }
    mOktaAuth.init(this,
            object : OktaAppAuth.OktaAuthListener {
                override fun onSuccess() {
                    login(mOktaAuth)
                }

override fun onTokenFailure(ex: AuthorizationException) {
                    Log.d(TAG, ex.error)
                }
            })
}

private fun login(mOktaAuth: OktaAppAuth) {
    val login = mOktaAuth.isUserLoggedIn
    if (!login) {
        val completionIntent = Intent(this@LoginActivity, MainActivity::class.java)
        val cancelIntent = Intent(this@LoginActivity, LoginActivity::class.java)
        cancelIntent.flags = Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP

mOktaAuth.login(this@LoginActivity,
                PendingIntent.getActivity(this@LoginActivity, 0, completionIntent, 0),
                PendingIntent.getActivity(this@LoginActivity, 0, cancelIntent, 0)
        )
    }
}

}

I correctly get redirected to MainActivity, but whenever i call performAuthorizedRequest NullPointerException is thrown:

02-21 00:49:09.703 14496-14496/it.projector.lamba.projector E/AndroidRuntime: 
FATAL EXCEPTION: main
  Process: it.projector.lamba.projector, PID: 14496
  java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{it.projector.lamba.projector/it.projector.lamba.projector.activities.MainActivity}: java.lang.NullPointerException: service cannot be null
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2778)
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2856)
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.-wrap11(Unknown Source:0)
	  at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1589)
	  at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
	  at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:164)
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6494)
	  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
	  at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:438)
	  at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:807)
   Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: service cannot be null
	  at net.openid.appauth.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:55)
	  at net.openid.appauth.AuthState.performActionWithFreshTokens(AuthState.java:523)
	  at net.openid.appauth.AuthState.performActionWithFreshTokens(AuthState.java:452)
	  at com.okta.appauth.android.OktaAppAuth.performAuthorizedRequest(OktaAppAuth.java:416)
	  at it.projector.lamba.projector.BackendService$Factory.getCurrentUser(BackendService.kt:37)
	  at it.projector.lamba.projector.activities.MainActivity.onCreate(MainActivity.kt:45)
	  at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7009)
	  at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7000)
	  at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1214)
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2731)
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2856) 
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.-wrap11(Unknown Source:0) 
	  at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1589) 
	  at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106) 
	  at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:164) 
	  at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6494) 
	  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) 
	  at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:438) 
	  at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:807) 

I Have no Idea why :confused: Furthermore, adding "offline_access" to the scopes in the JSON file makes Okta refuse to start the login and the authentication process fails so i had to remove it.

@jmelberg any ideas here?

Hey @Lamba92!

Regarding the offline_access scope - did you specify the “Refresh Token” grant type when setting up your Okta app?

After I wrote to you, deep down in another forum of yours I found the same solution and it worked, but I had as well to move the super.onCreate() method in the AuthorizedActivity (that i called MainActivity) after invoking the val mOktaAuth = OktaAppAuth.getInstance(this) (Kotlin here!), super weird!

Again in the MainActivity in your guides for Android you do not explicitly specify that you have to call mOktaAuth.init() but i noticed that things get unpredictable if you don’t do it.

Oh, and there’s that issue as well

Furthermore right now if I login with username and password the chrome tab do not get closed but I restart the app I am logged in and get correctly redirected to the MainActivity. I suspect that this happens because I had to hardcode in your hosted widget my other Angular application ID. Look here for more details

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.