PowerShell API to copy users from group to group based on filters

Thanks for taking a minute to look at this.
Scenario: Move users from a series of groups based on a filter to another series of groups based on a separate filter.

I created some code that grabs all the groups based on the filter and can get all of the users but am having a hard time translating that into the individual pieces. For each group I want just that groups members and then add them to a group with the same name but of a different type (one is OKTA_GROUP and the other is APP_GROUP).

Here is what I have so far.

function get-oktaInvokeGroupMembers () {
   $groups = Invoke-Method GET "/api/v1/groups?filter=type+eq+%22APP_GROUP%22&q=p.tableau"
    Write-Output $groups
      foreach ($group in $groups) {
        $members = Get-OktaGroupMember $group.id
      Write-Output $members
      }
    }

Hi there. I can’t speak specifically to the powershell piece of this, but I imagine your process would be the following:

1. Run GET "/api/v1/groups?filter=type eq "OKTA_GROUP"&q=p.tableau"
  2. Use that group ID to then get membership at GET /api/v1/groups/{{groupId}}/users
  3. Run GET "/api/v1/groups?filter=type eq "APP_GROUP"&q=p.tableau"
  4. Iterate over your users list from step 2, and add membership to the group ID from step 3 with PUT /api/v1/groups/{{groupId}}/users/{{userId}}

Hopefully I’m not missing your question and telling you what you already know :wink:

This is helpful as step 3 was missing from my logic. My concern here is that it would just take all of the users from step 2 and put them in each of the groups from step 4.I can run it and see what happens.

Here is what I have now. Getting an error on the second part and not sure if the logic is quite right.

$groups = Invoke-Method GET "/api/v1/groups?filter=type+eq+%22APP_GROUP%22&q=Test"
    Write-Output $groups
      Write-Output $members
      }
   $oktagroups = Invoke-Method GET  "/api/v1/groups?filter=type+eq+%22OKTA_GROUP%22&q=Test"
   Write-Output $oktagroups
      foreach ($okta in $oktagroups) {
         PUT "/api/v1/$okta.id/users/$members.id"
      }
    }

Edited to fix the logic. Thinking out loud here but I think for powershell I need to create a PUT function first. Working on that now.

Hmm, I forgot that you wanted to move users FROM group to group. In that case you would also want to incorporate a call to remove users from the Okta group in step 4 as well. So:

DELETE /api/v1/groups/{{groupId from step 1}}/users/{{userId}}

Actually, I want them to stay in both groups. It’s part of a migration where I need to test the future state before deleting the old groups. This is me learning and building a functional library of tasks to better automate our environment overall as well.

Here is where I am at currently

$groups = Invoke-Method GET "/api/v1/groups?filter=type+eq+%22APP_GROUP%22&q=Test"
    Write-Output $groups
      Write-Output $members
      }
   $oktagroups = Invoke-Method GET  "/api/v1/groups?filter=type+eq+%22OKTA_GROUP%22&q=Test"
   Write-Output $oktagroups
      foreach ($okta in $oktagroups) {
         Invoke-Method PUT "/api/v1/groups/$okta.id/users/$members.id"
      }
    }