Redirecting to URL based on user's group

Hello,

I have an application that is installed for several clients. Each of my clients have the app running on a separate domain. I would like to be able to create a group in Okta for each client. Then once they login successfully, Okta would somehow know to redirect to their particular site based on the group they belong to. So for example, I have:

Users:
User1 (Part of Website #1)
User2 (Part of Website #2)

Groups:
Group2 (For all users in Website #1)
Group2 (For all users in Website #2)

If User1 signs in successfully, then Okta knows to redirect to Website #1. If User2 signs in successfully, then redirect to Website #2 instead.

I guess a better way to ask is is there a way to specify the redirect URI conditionally based on the user’s group? Is there any way to achieve this in Okta?

Users:
User1 (Part of Website #1)
User2 (Part of Website #2)

Groups:
Group2 (For all users in Website #1)
Group2 (For all users in Website #2)

It seems like the logical division here is on the website unless there is a typo. Are your users starting on the particular website before they authenticate?

You can set the redirect URL for each website and be set.

Hi Tom,

No, the users would typically start from the Okta dashboard and click on the app icon. Or at least that’s what we were hoping to do.

Ah, I see. One more question, are each of your clients using the same Okta organization?

Yes … or at least I have not added/configured any other organizations that I’m aware of. I just realized there was a typo above and you pointed it out. I meant to say that all users of website #1 would be in group #1 and all users of website #2 would be in group #2, etc.

I would model this out as multiple applications in Okta, and assign each application to its respective group. This will allow you to have the right level of granularity of configuration and has, I believe, nice separations of concerns.

1 Like

Thanks for your help Tom! We’re going to create separate apps for each client like you suggested.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.