Secure a Node API with OAuth 2.0 Client Credentials

Secure a Node API with OAuth 2.0 Client Credentials

This article shows how to secure a Node API with an OAuth 2.0 client credentials flow.

Stephen Mansfield

Hello,

Having trouble with getting the second part of this tutorial working. Specifically the section “Test your Secure API”,

require(‘dotenv’).config()
const request = require(‘request-promise’)
const btoa = require(‘btoa’)
const { ISSUER, TEST_CLIENT_ID, TEST_CLIENT_SECRET, DEFAULT_SCOPE } = process.env

const test = async () => {
const token = btoa(${TEST_CLIENT_ID}:${TEST_CLIENT_SECRET})
try {
const { token_type, access_token } = await request({
uri: ${ISSUER}/v1/token,
json: true,
method: ‘POST’,
headers: {
authorization: Basic ${token},
},
form: {
grant_type: ‘client_credentials’,
scope: DEFAULT_SCOPE,
},
})

const response = await request({
uri: ‘http://localhost:3000’,
authorization: [token_type, access_token].join(’ ‘),
},
})

console.log(response)
} catch (error) {
console.log(Error: ${error.message})
}
}

test()

When I execute the test.js I get a “TEST_ERROR: Error: Parse Error”. I am getting the correct token_type and access_token from Okta. When the second “request” is executed I get the error “TEST_Error: Error: Parse Error”. Below is the section of code that is failing.

const response = await request({
uri: ‘http://localhost:3000’,
authorization: [token_type, access_token].join(’ '),
},
})

It looks like its not liking the authorization header. The token_type and access_token look correct

authorization: Bearer eyJraWQiOiJoai1TdEl6eDlaUmRoaFpNeUlCalpRSkg2N3lsYkRCcmdJZ191ZkpycVZBIiwiYWxnIjoiUlMyNTYifQ.eyJ2ZXIiOjEsImp0aSI6IkFULnVPZHVaTHJ5YlM1dkszQkljVU5NSE00eThXcjQwUjFmMDZkSzdqLVIySHMiLCJpc3MiOiJodHRwczovL2phYmlsc2ttLm9rdGEuY29tL29hdXRoMi9hdXNhYzZ6NThoZmFyVTQzUzM1NiIsImF1ZCI6Imh0dHA6Ly9sb2NhbGhvc3Q6MzAwMCIsImlhdCI6MTU0OTY1MTgwMywiZXhwIjoxNTQ5NzM4MjAzLCJjaWQiOiIwb2FhY2FxNzZqQjFWNjBMODM1NiIsInNjcCI6WyJzdWNoX3Njb3BlIl0sInN1YiI6IjBvYWFjYXE3NmpCMVY2MEw4MzU2In0.dCEsxinqWL2du88KdVFBCCSBuzkyL7JzdDjCKM1wBcWqUtpl8riLFtDzTXzokjS8sucuPmEv7iWTK3pEOzfkk0w6tV8bcjNV1tapdzlU-2jp6JhByEu39Fd_F8BpHkBGQVLoA15XsUZv2e7X2eQNzI66LiPHbCzb8o13PVVPLJumyMcpgbX2uWFFW_iPXvIqszzr1RSyj_ZDGISA1oCEJAuVLoCnuNwKe8gE3W7KQqKdI8kNIXQB5V0Hwhb-hWWxNfqD33wt5icd_HtFJog6PHNH6MpD0Xuzzr9vpS0zwSwTUVjZno-WwbYmDIQrNU7zybKVZulNAuGWBEoEP31yqA

Any ideas what I might be wrong?

Regards,
Steve Mansfield

Paula Parker

Paula.parker3646@gmail.com

Paula Parker

Copy

piyush dabhi

techmasalatoday