SMS MFA okta notification

Hi support team,

I have created a trial account in OKTA to test MFA (Multi factor authentication) as SMS as a second layer for authentication… I am using postman(I have already set Environment variables like username, password, url, stateToken and factorId) to test the same and below are the two API endpoints which i am calling from postman in order:

1. {{url}}/api/v1/authn
    This API gives response with below status:

“status”: “MFA_REQUIRED”,

1. Now I am trying to test the SMS notification using below endpoint:

{{url}}/api/v1/authn/factors(Enroll SMS Facore) and getting below response:

{
“errorCode”: “E0000079”,
“errorSummary”: “This operation is not allowed in the current authentication state.”,
“errorLink”: “E0000079”,
“errorId”: “oaeNIILJT2qR0OIvCeTwNcCfg”,
“errorCauses”: [
{
“errorSummary”: “This operation is not allowed in the current authentication state.”
}
]
}

Why I am getting above response please let me know as I am not able to understand what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Shailendra J

The /authn/factors endpoint will only work if user is currently in status MFA_ENROLL.

You will need to use the /users/${userId}/factors endpoint to enroll the user in additional factors, outside of the authentication transaction, if they are in a different status (in this case, MFA_REQUIRED).

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your response.I will check with the endPoint you suggested.

Thanks once again.

Shailendra J

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.