Trouble Integrating Okta API Authentication with Website: CORS Error

I’m encountering an issue while trying to integrate Okta API authentication with my website. I have followed the documentation provided by Okta diligently, but I’m stuck at a point where CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing) errors are consistently popping up.

Here’s a brief overview of my setup:

1. Frontend: I’m using AngularJS for the frontend of my website.
  2. Backend: My backend is built with Node.js and Express.
  3. Okta Configuration: I have set up the Okta application and obtained the necessary API keys and configurations.

The problem arises when I attempt to make requests from my AngularJS frontend to the Okta API. Each time a request is made, it gets blocked due to CORS policy restrictions.

Here are some steps I’ve already taken to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Configured CORS Headers: I’ve ensured that my Express backend is sending appropriate CORS headers, including allowing requests from my frontend domain.
  2. Checked Okta Settings: I’ve reviewed the settings in my Okta dashboard to ensure that my frontend domain is whitelisted.
  3. Verified API Requests: I’ve confirmed that the API requests are being made correctly from the frontend, including passing the necessary authentication tokens.

Despite these efforts, I’m still encountering CORS errors consistently. I suspect there might be something I’m missing or misunderstanding in the integration process.

Could anyone provide insights into what might be causing this CORS error in my Okta API integration? Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi @joeroot! Thank you for your detailed troubleshooting steps. Is there a specific Okta API endpoint you are getting a CORS error on?

1 Like

The CORS error seems to occur consistently across multiple Okta API endpoints that I’ve attempted to access from my AngularJS frontend. However, the primary endpoint where I’m encountering this issue is the /oauth2/v1/authorize endpoint, which is crucial for initiating the authentication flow with Okta.

I’ve ensured that the necessary CORS headers are being sent from my Express backend to allow requests from my frontend domain. Additionally, I’ve verified that the frontend domain is correctly whitelisted in the Okta dashboard.

Despite these measures, the CORS error persists, preventing successful communication between my frontend and the Okta API. If there are any specific configurations or additional steps I should consider to resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate your guidance. :slightly_smiling_face: :blush:

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi @joeroot! Thanks for sharing. So CORS is enabled on an API by API service – Enable CORS | Okta Developer. And specifically for the /oauth2/v1/authorize endpoint, you won’t be able to call it directly rather, you would need to redirect the browser instead – OpenID Connect & OAuth 2.0 API | Okta Developer.

1 Like