We are using OKTA OpenId Connect rest API for authentication, when I call /oauth2/v1/authorize with session token, client id and other parameters I am getting html form as response with token and other response parameters as hidden fields

We are using OKTA OpenId Connect rest API for authentication, when I call /oauth2/v1/authorize with session token, client id and other parameters I am getting html form as response with token and other response parameters as hidden fields. I am expecting a json output not html form page. I might be missing something, appreciate any inputs
Here is the response I am getting
redirect uri html with these as hidden fields.

<form id="appForm" method="post" name="oauthResponse" action="redirecturi">
 <input type="hidden" name="state" value="af0ifjsldkj"/>
 <input type="hidden" name="id_token" value="id_token"/>
 <input type="hidden" name="access_token" value=access token"/>
     <input type="hidden" name="token_type" value="Bearer"/>
     <input type="hidden" name="expires_in" value="3600"/>
     <input type="hidden" name="scope" value="email&#x20;openid&#x20;profile"/>
 </form>

The format of the authorization response is controlled via the response_mode parameter. Okta supports several modes including query, fragment, form_post, and okta_post_message (proprietary).

The authorization endpoint is not a JSON API. Its intended to be a front channel endpoint that you redirect the browser to. The token endpoint is the back channel endpoint that returns JSON.

Are you trying to use OIDC from a Single Page App? If so, you might want to look at using okta_post_message which can use HTML5 PostMessage with a hidden iframe.

Thank you mcguinness. This is a regular spring web application, so I guess I have to use token endpoint as you suggested but I am getting missing client credentials with token end point even though I am providing client id and secret.
Our requirement is if the user exists in OKTA, authenticate the user, generate token and redirect user to a different domain with the token.
These are the steps I was trying before.
1.authenticate user with /api/v1/authn call
2. generate token using /oauth2/v1/authorize. since this is returning html response, I can’t use this as you mentioned.
so if I use /oauth2/v1/token, do I still have to authenticate the user using /api/v1/authn or can I directly use /oauth2/v1/token with password grant type?

Here is my api req.
https://dev-xxxxxx.oktapreview.com/oauth2/v1/token

params.add("client_id", "0oaartrttr9HXJEv0h7");
	    params.add("client_secret", "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx");
	    params.add("username", "wwerwer@gmail.com");
	    params.add("password", "Oktaxxxxxxx");
	    params.add("grant_type", "password");
	    params.add("scope", "openid offline_access");

you should be able to use the password grant_type directly for your use case and avoid going through AuthN API. You will need to use client credentials

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.