Advice for mitigating service disruptions

Apologies for the outage yesterday. This is the first one we have had since I’ve been at Okta that impacted the developer tier’s home and my applications were affected as well.

I think you ask a really good question, but understanding the root cause of the underlying issue, the only way this particular one could have been mitigated is by not being in that particular cell.

With that being said, Okta does give you the ability to run multiple authorization servers in the same organization, these could be used for failover if one authorization server went down. Their original purpose is for different audiences (one audience for each authorization server), but you could possibly set up multiple for redundancy.

I think there is an interest product enhancement out of your question. Which is how Okta could allow you to have the same organization in multiple cells, and if one goes down, we can elegantly funnel traffic to the other cell. I’m going to talk to our architects about this. It definitely seems feasible and would be a value-add for customers needing automatically failover and redundancy.

Let me know any questions - always happy to help.
Tom

2 Likes