Baby Steps 3 - Configuring a Custom Login Page using Gradle and Spring Tool Suite

Thank you for your previous assistance.

The README.md file for the Self-hosted (Embedded) Custom Login Page for my Java Spring web app uses Maven. I am using Gradle, and Spring Tool Suite (“STS”).

I have defined values for OKTA_OAUTH2_ISSUER, OKTA_OAUTH2_CLIENT_ID, and OKTA_OAUTH2_CLIENT_SECRET by specifying environment variables in the projects setup, but the (unmodified, default) custom web page is experiencing errors when the project is started. (I also put an “export” preceding the name of the three environment variables, as per the README.md file .)

Now, when I run the project, I get the following error:

Whitelabel Error Page
This application has no explicit mapping for /error, so you are seeing this as a fallback.

Fri May 28 08:32:41 PDT 2021
There was an unexpected error (type=Internal Server Error, status=500).
An error happened during template parsing (template: “class path resource [templates/index.html]”)
org.thymeleaf.exceptions.TemplateInputException: An error happened during template parsing (template: “class path resource [templates/index.html]”)
at org.thymeleaf.templateparser.markup.AbstractMarkupTemplateParser.parse(AbstractMarkupTemplateParser.java:241)
at org.thymeleaf.templateparser.markup.AbstractMarkupTemplateParser.parseStandalone(AbstractMarkupTemplateParser.java:100)
at org.thymeleaf.engine.TemplateManager.parseAndProcess(TemplateManager.java:666)
at org.thymeleaf.TemplateEngine.process(TemplateEngine.java:1098)
at org.thymeleaf.TemplateEngine.process(TemplateEngine.java:1072)
at org.thymeleaf.spring5.view.ThymeleafView.renderFragment(ThymeleafView.java:366)
at org.thymeleaf.spring5.view.ThymeleafView.render(ThymeleafView.java:190)

The unmodified Okta-specified default custom index.html page is in the “templates” folder. I have not modified the project setup in any way. It works correctly when I am using a non-custom index.html page.

I am using the the values in the environment variable values as are in my application.properties file, which works correctly for accessing the various non-public pages in my site.

(I have tried specifying the environment variables in STS both with and without the “export” keyword preceding the environment variable name.)

Thank you for your latest assistance.