Better, Faster, Lighter Java with Java 12 and JHipster 6

Better, Faster, Lighter Java with Java 12 and JHipster 6

Stay hip with the latest Java and Spring Boot releases by using JHipster 6! This post shows you how to get started.

Alfredo Rueda Unsain

Excellent article! Thanks so much

berrahal berrahal

The article is very nice thank you so much

Isaías Lima

I am allocated in a project Java8 with Angular6, JHipster is very interesting in what it proposes, are there companies using this tool? if so, which ones?

Matt Raible

The JHipster website lists over 280 companies that’ve reported they’re using it.

https://www.jhipster.tech/c…

Dylan Natier

I have installed the beta version and I have Java version 11 in java_home. But I don’t understand why when I do a project in the pom.xml I see java.version = 1.8.
Shouldn’t that be java 11?

Matt Raible

You can change it to 11, but then you won’t be able to run your app with Java 8. Changing it changes the target version of Java. See Setting the Java Version in Maven for more information.

Dylan Natier

I don’t understand your response

Matt Raible

We haven’t done anything in JHipster that requires Java 11. That’s why we don’t change the “java.version” property. If you keep it as 1.8, you can package your app (with Java 11) and it’ll still work on Java 8. If you change the value to 11, you’ll only be able to run your app on Java 11+.

Nagarjuna Nalla

@mattMatt Raible I’m doing a POC where we are trying to use Kong as API gateway, Okta OIDC for Authentication and Jhipster spring boot Microservice app Backend. So far, I’m able to hit api gateway url that routes to Okta developer tenant and I’m able to authenticate there but I’m having issues with the redirect back to my jhipster application. My question to you is do you have any article that covers kong, Okta and Jhipster integration ? Second thing is I’d really appreciate if you can shed some light on how to sync User-Info token that okta returns to call back url with Jhipster Microservice application. Looking forward to hear back from you !

Matt Raible

Nagarjuna - I haven’t done anything with Kong, but a colleague of mine has. See Use Kong Gateway to Centralize Authentication. The best place to ask your question would be on our developer forums.

Vinicius Carvalho

Excellent @mattraible ! You helped me so much!

Dylan Natier

I generated a microservice and my gateway. But I don’t understand why my gateway wants me to create a new database. I’m supposed to use my microservice in theory. Or does the gateway need a BDD?

Matt Raible

I believe there’s an option to generate a gateway (or a microservice) without a database, but I’ve never tried it. If you have a database, it’s to store user information + roles. If you’re using OIDC for authentication, the user and roles are just a read-only copy from the IdP.

Dylan Natier

Thank you for your answer. I have another problem. How to modify my microservice to add modules. For example I want to add the audit module

Matt Raible

It looks like there’s an open issue for using the audit module in a microservices architecture. https://github.com/hipster-…

Dylan Natier

When I try to connect to my application with admin account I have the following error: Message: An error occurred while attempting to Decode the jwt: jwt expired at 2019-06-01T18:21:14Z.
I use consul and keyloak

Matt Raible

I’ve seen this before when your computer’s clock is not accurate. If that’s not it, I’d recommend posting your question to Stack Overflow and tagging it with “jhipster”. That way, more people will see it and might be able to help you. I haven’t tried JHipster with Consul yet.

Dylan Natier

I’m still not solving my problem. No answer on stack overflow

sridhar vennela

I am able to successfully deploy app and log in as existing user. How do i create registration link for new users?