E0000004 when posting /api/v1/authn with staged user

I’m trying to login with a user that hasn’t been activated yet (Staged) by using correct credentials. when posting /api/v1/authn I expected to get user status instead I received an error as a response shown below:

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Content-Type: application/json

{
  "errorCode": "E0000004",
  "errorSummary": "Authentication failed",
  "errorLink": "E0000004",
  "errorId": "oaeuHRrvMnuRga5UzpKIOhKpQ",
  "errorCauses": []
}

Is there a way to determine user status (Staged user)?
Note: Status will help determine whether to prompt the activation screen. So, user will be able to paste in the activation code sent to their email box.

Users must be active to login. There is no way to check if the user is active (for user enumeration protection reasons) short of having admin access to the org so you can check the users status.

Could be something you cook up on your side using the /Users endpoint to get information about the user status, if you’re interested

Thanks for the response. I found the API Users | Okta Developer which I can use to get the status of the user.
Since my application is on a shared tenant, we will not get the API token. Is there any other API which can give me user status without API token?

Only other option is a CORS request /users/me, which uses the user session as authentication, but if they user has a session, then they’re bound to be active, so no, I don’t see any options with an API token or similar admin level access.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.