How to authenticate with .net core controller using fetch

Hello,

I’m having trouble figuring out how to authenticate with my .net controller using fetch from my react component.

I’m using .net core with react / redux for my project. I’ve configured my authentication using the okta sign in + .net core server steps outlined here.

I tried using the react widget outlined here but it doesn’t currently support server side rendering.

I tried using the react setup outlined here but had trouble figuring out how to use MFA workflows. I’m assuming this is the only way to solve this problem, in which case i’ll need to do more digging on how to setup my own MFA flow.

I’ve outlined a snippet of my setup below that uses the okta sign in page + .net core method. Calling fetch on GetMyEmail fails because its not authenticated. I’m hoping there is a easy way to handle this.

//Controller
[Authorize]
[HttpGet("[action]")]
public string GetMyEmail()
{
return User.Claims
.FirstOrDefault(x => x.Type == “preferred_username”)
?.Value.ToString();
}

//React
async componentDidMount() {
try {
const response = await fetch(‘api/Okta/GetMyEmail’,
{
//How do I Authenticate here?
//How do i get the token to authenticate?
});
const data = await response.json();
console.log('email ', data)
} catch (err) {
// handle error as needed
console.log(err)
}
}

//Okta auth init
services.AddAuthentication(sharedOptions =>
{
sharedOptions.DefaultAuthenticateScheme = CookieAuthenticationDefaults.AuthenticationScheme;
sharedOptions.DefaultSignInScheme = CookieAuthenticationDefaults.AuthenticationScheme;
sharedOptions.DefaultChallengeScheme = OpenIdConnectDefaults.AuthenticationScheme;
})
.AddCookie()
.AddOpenIdConnect(options =>
{
options.ClientId = “{secret}”;
options.ClientSecret = “{secret}”;
options.Authority = “https://{myoktadomain}.com/oauth2/default”;
options.CallbackPath = “/authorization-code/callback”;
options.ResponseType = “code”;
options.SaveTokens = true;
options.UseTokenLifetime = false;
options.GetClaimsFromUserInfoEndpoint = true;
options.Scope.Add(“openid”);
options.Scope.Add(“profile”);
options.TokenValidationParameters = new TokenValidationParameters
{
NameClaimType = “name”
};
});

I spent the day taking a deeper dive into okta, and decided that using the Authentication API is the best route for me. This way I don’t have to change my typescript compiler settings to be less strict, I can continue using server side rendering (the widget and Auth JS make use of ‘window’ so I had to hack them to get them running server server side), and I get MFA in my own login flow.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.