How to configure username in Okta without having Active Directory for my application

Hi ,

We are thinking to publish our multiple applications for SSO.
But none of our applications user is a part of Active directory services. The users in our applications are stored into respective applications database only, and using forms authentication they login to respective application.

But we need a single login mechanism for all our application, so without having Active Directory, can we make this possible using Okta as a identity provider for all of our different application.
Each of our application is under different domain.

Could you please provide your feedback.

Regards,
Santosh

Okta provides a native directory for your users and doesn’t require Active Directory. You can create users via the Admin UI or the Okta API. Each users needs a unique login in the Okta directory. The end-user will use this login to sign-in to Okta. Once the user has a session with Okta, they can SSO to any application assigned to them. The user can have a different username for the application if needed (Sign On tab for the app). This is managed via a mapping that is applied when the user is assigned to the application.

You can customize the mapping to meet the application requirements. You can also override the a user’s application username on a per-user basis via the assignment

Thanks for your answer!
I also would like to know Which one will be better option for assertion among SAML and OAuth.
I know SAML well, but don’t know anything about OAuth, Could you please explain in brief. I saw Okta provides support for OAuth as well.

Can we insert multiple users in bulk into Okta’s native directory through Okta api. I assume Okta native directory means a Okta database where they store the users information.

Which are the required fields , I need to send to Okta for adding user in Okta System?
What kind of security Okta provides, How can I trust my users information is secure in Okta System, and this will never get misused any way.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.