Accessing requestContext from a custom error page

Hello,

It’s easy to access the requestContext in a custom Sign In page: just a call to OktaUtil.getRequestContext().

The documentation for custom error pages omits reference to OktaUtil, and when I try to embed it using the same syntax as described in the Sign In page documentation ({{{OktaUtil}}}) nothing is embedded in the rendered HTML.

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to access the additional context of the error in custom Javascript?

@wss_wayne Hi, I might not completely understand your question. Could you please attach your code snippets and the exact error msg?
Also, I attached a few reference here. You can take a look and try it again.
Here is definition of {{{OktaUtil}}}
And the customization samples

Hello @Lijia,

Thank you for the links. I have no problem with the Custom Sign In Page, it works as expected for me. My question relates to the Custom Error Page.

I cannot find any reference to OktaUtil in the documentation for Custom Error Page: https://developer.okta.com/docs/guides/custom-error-pages/customization-examples/

When I embed {{{OktaUtil}}} in the Custom Sign In Page, it is replaced with script, eg:

<body>
  <!-- ...etc -->

{{{OktaUtil}}}
  <script type="text/javascript">
    var requestContext = OktaUtil.getRequestContext()
    console.log(requestContext)
  </script>
</body>

Renders as expected:

<body>
  <!-- ...etc -->
  <!-- {{{OktaUtil}}} string is replaced with -->
  <div id="okta-sign-in" class="auth-container main-container unsupported-message-container" style="display:none">
    <!-- ...etc -->
  </div>
  <script type="text/javascript">
    // ... etc
    OktaUtil.init();
  </script>
  <!-- my script... -->
</body>

And the output of my call to console is as expected

{ assets: { ... }, ... etc }

When I embed the same {{{OktaUtil}}} string and script into the Custom Error Page it renders like this:

<body>
  <!-- ...etc -->
  <!-- {{{OktaUtil}}} string disappears and is not replace with the OktaUtil code -->
  <!-- my script... -->
</body>

And my call to OktaUtil.getRequestContext() fails because OktaUtil is not defined.

So my question is: how can I access OktaUtil.getRequestContext() (or an equivalent) from my script in the Custom Error Page?

@wss_wayne Hi, can you please open a support ticket through an email to support@okta.com? We can look into the code in a remote meeting.

If anyone else has this problem in the future, after two weeks the answer is (surprisingly and disappointingly) there is no way to access requestContext or a similar object from inside the Custom Error page.

My particular use case was that sometimes sign-ins would fail and I would get a big 400 error, and I wanted to customise the look of the page depending on which application had caused that error.

Thank you for your patience. Our developer team provided an answer and getting data that reveals which application errored out during sing-in is not possible. If you can replicate an error page popup and scan the technical details section, perhaps the error ID can be searched in our logs to give context, but again, this can only be searched in our logs, so I don’t think this is a good solution for your use case.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.