Modify self-service registration existing user error

I am having trouble editing the self-registration error when I enter an existing email.

Right now, the error currently reads: “A user with this Email already exists”

I want it to say: “A user with this Email already exists. Login with the same Email or use different Email address to create a new account. If you forgot the password, use the ‘Forgot Password?’ option to reset your password.”

I cannot find anywhere where I set it to “A user with this Email already exists” in my custom HTML. The closest I can find in login.properties github page is:

errors.E0000114 = A user with this login already exists in the current organization.
registration.error.userName.notUniqueWithinOrg=An account with that email already exists

When I modify this in the config properties before rendering the widget, it does not affect the error text, but I am able to modify plenty of other errors in the same manner.

Thanks for your assistance.

Have you tried updating the widget config to change the text for this error, as discussed here: https://github.com/okta/okta-signin-widget#language-and-text

Can you see if adding this to the config works:

i18n: {
  'en': {
    'errors.E0000114': 'A user with this Email already exists'
  }
}

Hi, thanks for your message. I do all of my modifications to the config property before rendering the widget.

First I render the widget:

var config = OktaUtil.getSignInWidgetConfig();

Then before rending, I set the potentially relevant errors as follows:

config.i18n.en["errors.E0000114"] ="test test test"
config.i18n.en["registration.error.userName.notUniqueWithinOrg"] ="A user with this Email already exists. Login with the same Email or use different Email address to create a new account. If you forgot the password, use 'Forgot Password?' option to reset your password.

I console log the object to ensure the property was set, but there is no affect on the registration error.

It appears that text is only affected by modifying the self-service username field label in the self-service properties set by an administrator. So the error could say for example: “A user with this [editable text] already exists”.

You want to add that chunk to the Widget config when you instantiate it. Here’s what mine looks like:

var config = {
  baseUrl: oktaDomain,
  i18n: {
    en: {
    }
  }
}

var oktaSignIn = new OktaSignIn(config);

If you are modifying the Custom Sign In page, you can instead just add the following (again, before you instantiate it:

config.i18n = {
  en: {
  }
}

// Render the Okta Sign-In Widget
var oktaSignIn = new OktaSignIn(config);

@andrea - I think if I did it that way, I would overwrite other configurations. But I am editing the config before I instantiate. I was incorrect in my original and reply post as I was misreading my own code. I edited it above to reflect the reality of what I was doing–editing the config before rendering.

As you can see from the image below, the potentially relevant properties here are being set but they are having no effect:

I have also posted an issue here:

https://github.com/okta/okta-signin-widget/issues/1062

Thanks for any further guidance you can offer.