Okta-react does not seem to support response_type == code

I tried using okta-oidc-js/packages/okta-react at master · okta/okta-oidc-js · GitHub to work with my company’s okta setup (which does not support other response types: OAuthError: The response type is not supported by the authorization server. Configured response types: [code].), but it doesn’t support response_type of code properly and always tries to read the token from the callback url that has the state/nonce instead of verifying they match and then making another request for the token. I think that it’s because of this line: https://github.com/okta/okta-oidc-js/blob/master/packages/okta-react/src/Auth.js#L42 which really should see if the response type is code and if so do something different.

My App is:

class App extends Component {
render() {
return (
<React.StrictMode>

<Security issuer={process.env.REACT_APP_ISSUER}
client_id={process.env.REACT_APP_CLIENT_ID}
response_type=‘code’
prompt=‘none’
redirect_uri={window.location.origin + ‘/auth/callback’}
onAuthRequired={({history}) => history.push(’/login’)} >

</React.StrictMode>
);
}
}

@mraible, can you take a look at this and let me know if you have any thoughts? Thanks, Mark

Hi @markj -

The okta-react library only supports the OAuth 2.0 Implicit Flow, so requesting an authorization code without a clientSecret or code_challenge (see PKCE) will throw an error from the API.

Therefore, only the following response_type values are permitted:

• token
  • id_token
  • token id_token

To help us understand your use case a bit better, is there a specific reason you’re requesting a code over getting the tokens directly?

Thanks for the reply. I am checking with my admins as to why we only support the code response type.

Also, I tried changing the CustomLogin as follows after realizing that the default responseMode for the response type of code is query which will not work with parseFromUrl, but then I ended up in an infinite redirect loop:

export default withAuth(class CustomLogin extends Component {
render() {
this.props.auth.redirect({responseMode: ‘fragment’});
return null;
}
});

this is happening to me when trying to use application type Native on react

I’d like to have only on application to manage both web and app, is this possible?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.