Retrieving user details in bulk

Hi
I am working on okta integration with my application using rest api.
My requirement is I need to get information about user such as profile info, connected groups, connected apps, assigned admin roles.

Currently, I am fetching information by below steps

1. call /users endpoint to get userID
  2. call /users/uid/groups endpoint to get all groups connected to user
  3. call /users/uid/apps endpoint to get all apps connected to user
  4. call /users/uid/roles endpoint to get all roles assigned to the user

From above steps, I get all required information but it requires 3/4 calls which hits the performance of application.

Any way or suggestion to get above information in minimum calls or in less time?

Regards,
Prasad

1 Like

The Okta SDKs have a caching layer built in, this would allow you to minimize and speed up the calls.

You could also run calls 2-4 asynchronously.

Thanks @tom for reply

Can you please point me to any reference document about how the caching mechanism works in okta SDK?

I founddocumentation about how to create cache.

But I am interested in the details like what data cache is storing and how cached data reused?

You can specify what is cached like such:

Caches.newCacheManager()
     .withDefaultTimeToLive(300, TimeUnit.SECONDS) // default
     .withDefaultTimeToIdle(300, TimeUnit.SECONDS) //general default
     .withCache(forResource(Account.class) //Account-specific cache settings
         .withTimeToLive(1, TimeUnit.HOURS)
         .withTimeToIdle(30, TimeUnit.MINUTES))
     .withCache(forResource(Group.class) //Group-specific cache settings
         .withTimeToLive(2, TimeUnit.HOURS))

The cache will cache everything returned by okta under the key of the self-link. We need to be able to materialize the full objects with links.

How it is used is when the request executor is making a request to a resource, it can check the cache for an object with the can link (the self-link), before flighting a request to the okta service.

I hope this information helps!

Sounds good.
Just one question I saw there is a group called “Everyone” and every user created in okta is by default member of everyone group.

So is it a fair statement that every okta instance have everyone group which hold each and every user exists on okta? also is there any way to modify this settings?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.