Can I go live with a personal project / app using a free account?

Hi there,

I’m using a free Okta account (at least for now), and my org has the ‘dev’ prefix.

Am I ‘allowed’ to go live with my app in this state (assuming I don’t go over 7k monthly active users)?

Are there any potential issues I might run into other than hitting a user limit if the app got popular?

How easy is it to upgrade after the fact?

Thanks

2 Likes

Of course, you can! You just click on the “Upgrade” button in the Developer Console and add a credit card (or contact us)

The difference is features and support levels. Let us know if you have any other questions!

2 Likes

To echo what @bdemers said, for sure! We specifically built the free tier so people could use it for small projects and personal apps. A number of us use it for our own projects. :slight_smile:

As long as you don’t need any of the features in the paid or enterprise tiers (email customization, SAML, SLAs), you’re totally fine using a free account for <7k users. If you ever change your mind or decide to upgrade, you can do so straight from the Developer Console by clicking the Upgrade button.

Edit: see clarification below

If you need any help, just let us know!

1 Like

Hi @bdemers and @nate.barbettini

Thanks so much for the clarification and assistance. That’s great to know.

Cheers

3 Likes

What are the differences if one selects the Upgrade button and the $50/month option? It seems that the free developer plan accommodates 7000 users - does the option identified above lower the number of users supported to 2500? As well, if one selects the $50/month option, how does the support level differ?

Hi @bdemers,

Our free Developer edition is actually up to 1,000 monthly active users.

Regarding your question around support, the Developer free and paid tiers are all Email only. Enterprise support and 99.9% SLA is available in the OneApp and Enterprise editions.

@jwf While I believe this information is correct for new accounts, those users that have migrated from Stormpath (such as myself) to the free Okta developer account during the transition period may have 7000 monthly active users.

Upgrading is a little nerve racking. I want to make sure I’ve got this right. I, too, started with the 1K free developer license and I’m now ready to upgrade.

Will I have to change ANYTHING on my application if I upgrade?

Based on this thread, it appears that the answer is no but I would appreciate confirmation.

And @sean1, have you gone through an upgrade? How did it go?

Thanks everybody,

–Ray

Hi @RayRenteria

Applications are not affected by this upgrade. The upgrade modifies the meta values that your Okta tenant has, for example number of monthly active users that you can have and number of applications that you can add.

1 Like