Are there ways to test prior to submission to OIN?

We provide access to a cloud-based desktop produce via Ericom. We have customers who are also Okta customers, who wish to use Okta capabilities for their staff who access our application. Ericom’s doc for setting this up makes it look not-too-complex:

As we are new to Okta, and to federation generally, we are hoping that there is a capability to test our configuration prior to submitting it to OIN, preferably running the test ourselves. If not that, is there a way to test with the cooperation of one of our customers? If neither of those paths are available, what is the general case regarding how long between queueing a request for OIN publication and Okta’s own testing? Is Okta’s own testing sufficient as assurance that the federation will work well without additional tuning?

Thanks,
Whit

1 Like

Hi whit. Most definitely there are ways to test before submitting an app to the OIN. Here is some documentation on that process:

https://developer.okta.com/docs/guides/build-sso-integration/saml2/test-your-app/

But I would recommend starting from the beginning of this guide as it’s pretty comprehensive:

https://developer.okta.com/docs/guides/build-sso-integration/saml2/overview/

Thanks Cale. That first page you link reads like a foreign language to me when it says “Sign in to the Okta End-User Dashboard as the regular user that was assigned the integration.” The second document says this “First you must assign your integration to one or more test users in your org” – also only half comprehensible. Obviously each bit of tech comes with its own jargon, but the jargon here is opaque to me. In this case we’re wishing to use Ericom’s capacity for Okta integration to allow several of our customers to extend their Okta federation to their staff who use our product via Ericom. The desired goal is for our mutual customers to control their users’ rights to access our application (not all of our customers, but several who currently use Okta broadly). So the user perspective we need to test from is from our clients’ orgs, isn’t it? Is there a dummy client org to test from? We’re not building this from scratch. We’d like to just follow Ericom’s recipe and then have a way to check what the results will be from our customers’ perspective, just if they pull in what we then publish in OIN.

Also, is there knowledge of the current state of the queue to get stuff onto OIN once it’s submitted? We’re not asking for any guarantee of turnaround, but once we start forward we’d like to give our customers a realistic estimate of when we might be able to deliver on their request for this.

Thanks,
Whit

1 Like

Whit, any progress on this? I find myself in a similar boat. If you’ve found a good guide on how to enable orgs to use Okta SSO with your app let me know.

We actually have a SPA Okta application but its unclear to me if we’re eligible to be in OIN because of this comment in the docs:

" Also, the Client acting on behalf of itself grant type is not supported in OIN app integrations."

We have this listed in our app configuration: “Client acting on behalf of a user”. Is “… of itself” a typo in the documentation?