Problem with custom domains and subdomains

Let’s say I have a domain called coffee.com, and a desired subdomain called beans.coffee.com.

I want to use beans.coffee.com with Okta auth.

I have a CNAME in coffee.com called beans.coffee.com that refers to my Okta domain, dev-{number}.okta.com.

I’ve been trying to add beans.coffee.com to Okta as a custom subdomain, but it keeps failing and I’m not sure why; but it works if I use coffee.com.

I’m just wondering what part of my setup is wrong.

If I run nslookup beans.coffee.com there’s no response, but coffee.com yields a response.

Hi @spoiledgoods

Can you please check if the CNAME from beans.coffee.com is actually pointing to dev-{number}.okta.com or dev-{number}.customdomains.okta.com which is the URL that Okta provides for the DNS entry.

Regarding the issue itself, in your Okta admin panel, can you please go to Settings >> Customization >> Custom URL Domain and check which is the Configured Custom Domain set up, coffee.com or beans.coffee.com? If you are in Developer Console admin interface, please switch to Classic UI from top left corner.

@dragos Thanks for your reply. My issue here was I totally forgot my domain hosting service adds the base domain onto every CNAME entry; so beans.coffee.com becomes beans.coffee.com.coffee.com. Kicking myself for suffering from this problem again

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.